Dear HHS families,
Last week I shared my amazement of the maturity and selflessness of your children. In the midst of losing so much, they continue to reach past their circumstances to give back to others. Research suggests benefits are gained from goodness and that random acts of kindness increase one’s happiness.
Tomorrow, I will challenge HHS students and faculty to commit to seven-days of kindness. I will join the Harrison High School community in this challenge and, as we uphold one another through our kind acts, we derive strength as a school community. Consider making this a family commitment; perform kind acts together and spread goodness and joy.
My spirit benefits from the selfless, positive energy, and the goodness of your children.
Ms. Kimberly Beukema
Principal, Harrison High School
Please make note of additional information and reminders:
- Monday, May 25 is Memorial Day, a school holiday. Therefore, live sessions will not occur and assignments will not be posted. Due to Memorial Day next week, food distribution will take place on Tuesday, May 26th and Wednesday, May 27th. Regular distribution will resume the following week.
- AP Exam dates will impact the schedules of the students in these classes:
- AP World History, Thursday, May 21st @ 2pm.
- AP Stats, May 22nd @ 2pm
- SUPA Multivariable Calculus, May 27th @ 1:00 p.m.
- College Bound for Juniors will be held this Wednesday, May 20th. Students will receive additional information from counselors in their school email.
- Once we draw closer to the end of the 2020-2021 school year, we will share with you plans to collect any items signed-out to you or items you need to pick-up from the high school.
- The Superintendent, assistant principals, and I continue to collaborate with senior class officers about ways to recognize the class of 2020 with unique end-of-the-year celebrations. Seniors will celebrate prom differently and are considering dates in the summer. We remain hopeful our seniors will walk the graduation stage on June 26th. Senior Awards and Senior Sports Awards will occur virtually, although other ideas are still being explored. Seniors are planning to celebrate College Commitment Day. We will share information about these year-end celebrations as details are finalized.
- Weekly Bulletin, Week of 5/18,
- We recognize the challenges families face Learning From Home and its impact on students’ ability to complete work. Our grading practices reflect that understanding and the approach is accurate, fair, and respectful. The revised secondary grading guidelines ensure integrity and fairness, provide feedback on achievement, and support learning.
- The District provides free breakfast and lunch for eligible students. If you are currently eligible but have not yet applied, please complete the request form. If your circumstances have changed and you are in need of food assistance contact your principal. All inquiries are confidential.
- If your child needs a device, if there is a problem with your equipment, or if your family does not have internet access, the District will provide a device and/or a mobile hotspot to deliver internet access. If you require technology support please complete this form. If you have questions contact Brian Seligman (914-630-3389) or (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Governor has directed schools to remain closed for the remainder of the academic year. Please understand that with the closing of schools, the school grounds must remain closed and no gatherings can be allowed at this time.