Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
The Harrison Central School District is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of student, faculty and staff data including personally identifiable information (PII). Consistent with the requirements of New York State Education Law 2d, the District adheres to comprehensive data security protocols for the protection of data in our information systems and when disclosing or releasing it on a need-to-know basis to others including, but not limited to, third-party software vendors or professional service providers. Click here for the Harrison Central School District's data privacy and security policy.
The Harrison Central School District employs layered security measures to ensure cybersecurity and the protection of PII and specific information about these measures are kept confidential for security reasons. Generally, these data security measures include:
- Annual faculty/staff training on data security
- Advanced network security
- Internet content filtering
- Multi-layer email protection
See below for more information about Harrison's Parent' Bill of Rights, information on third parties that have access to limited student information, and the process for reporting a suspected improper disclosure of PII. If you have questions, you may contact Brian Seligman, K-12 Director of Information Systems, Data and Technology, Chief Information Officer and Data Protection Officer.
Pursuant to the New York Education Law Section 2-d (“Section 2-d”) and its implementing regulations:
- A student’s personally identifiable information (“PII”) cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- The School District assures that the confidentiality of electronically stored PII is protected using safeguards that comport with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, secure firewalls and password protection when student data is stored or transferred.
- Parents have a right to inspect and review the complete contents of the student’s educational record, including portions of the record that are stored electronically, even when the record is maintained by a third-party contractor.
- Parents have a right to the New York State Education Department (“NYSED”) student data element list that NYSED collects for authorized uses at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/.
- Parents have the right to submit complaints about possible data breaches by submitting these inquiries to:
Director of Technology, Data Privacy Officer
Harrison Central School District
50 Union Avenue
Harrison, NY 10528